- Reporters Desk
Extensions, fee waivers and online services available now
The California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) has provided relief to Californians. Here are important measures taken so far:
Drivers’ Licenses & ID Cards
– The DMV is extending all expiring driver licenses.
– All commercial drivers’ licenses, endorsements and certificates expiring from March through June are now valid through June 30.
– Identification cards expiring on or after March 4 are now valid through June 22.
– The DMV is waiving late fees and penalties for vehicle registration renewals due between March 16 and May 31 and paid within 60 days of the original expiration date.
– The DMV is extending driver license permits and commercial learner’s permits.
– Driver license permits expiring between March and June 30, 2020 are extended six months or to a date 24 months from the date of application, whichever is earlier.
– Commercial learner’s permits expiring between March and June 2020 are now valid through June 30, 2020. The extensions require no individual action on the part of drivers.
Disabled Person Parking Placards
– Permanent Disability Placards are automatically renewed by mail. Temporary placards must be recertified by an authorized individual.
DMV Virtual Office
– Available DMV online services include:
– Renew your Driver License or Identification Card
– Temporary Driver License Extension
– Renew your Vehicle/Vessel and License Plates
– Change your address
Additionally, select DMV field offices have reopened to the public.