Random Lengths News, the independent, progressive newspaper of the Los Angeles and Long Beach Harbor Area for more than 40 years, cares about our youth and future journalists. That is why it offers a 120-hour unpaid internship program throughout the year for students who have an interest in journalism.
The mission of our internship program is to give back to the community providing young journos with the necessary tools to go out into the world be better at interviewing, writing and reporting, preparing them to go on to paid internships, transferable jobs or professional careers in the journalism industry. The internship program works to help promote diversity by accepting students at different levels of competence and backgrounds succeed through direct mentorship.
The internship program supports student realization not just as journalists, but as professionals in any field; they don’t just gain a few clips for their portfolio and do goffer work. Interns at Random Lengths News gain hands-on training and mentorship about the day-to-day operations of a news publication.
The internship program includes a detailed lesson plan that educates students on several aspects of the journalism industry and the professional world. Interns work with WordPress and social media, learn to interact with sources, and write and produce journalistic news and feature stories.
- Interns must be students or recent graduates to receive credit for internship
- Basic knowledge of AP Style and a desire to excel at news production is desired
- All internships require a minimum of 12 hours per week for a total of 120 hours.
PRIMARY (but not limited) JOB FUNCTIONS
- Research relevant stories and maintain a working source list
- Write calendar, news and feature content for print and online
- Schedule and promote work on social media
- Assist in the production process
- Provide excellent customer service to office clients
- Help maintain the organization of the general office
- Answer and direct phone calls in professional manner
- Command of PC and Mac
- Understanding of MS Office, Google Docs and collaboration tools
- Understanding of social media
- Understanding of AP-style, detail-oriented and organized
- Adherence to journalism ethics
- Eagerness to be self-starters
- Willingness to learn