Random Lengths News, the independent, progressive newspaper of the Los Angeles and Long Beach Harbor Area for more than 40 years, cares about youth and future journalists. That is why it offers a 120-hour unpaid internship program throughout the year for students who have a strong interest in journalism.
Random Lengths News doesn’t task interns with just being the office goffer. Interns at Random Lengths News gain hands-on training and mentorship about the day-to-day operations of a news publication, they work with WordPress and social media, learn to interact with sources, and write and produce journalistic news and feature stories.
- Interns must be students or recent graduates to receive credit for internship
- Basic knowledge of AP Style and a desire to excel at news production is desired
- All internships require a minimum of 12 hours per week for a total of 120 hours.
PRIMARY (but not limited) JOB FUNCTIONS
- Research relevant stories and maintain a working source list
- Write calendar, news and feature content for print and online
- Schedule and promote work on social media
- Assist in the production process
- Provide excellent customer service to office clients
- Help maintain the organization of the general office
- Answer and direct phone calls in professional manner
- Command of PC and Mac
- Understanding of MS Office, Google Docs and collaboration tools
- Understanding of social media
- Understanding of AP-style, detail-oriented and organized
- Adherence to journalism ethics
- Eagerness to be self-starters
- Willingness to learn