Published on February 25th, 2014 | by Zamná Ávila0
Application Deadline Nears for Port High School Internships
Applications are due March 12 for the Summer High School Internship Program at the Port of Long Beach, an internship and career-exploration opportunity for Long Beach-area high school students.
The program, a partnership between the City of Long Beach Harbor Department and Pacific Gateway Workforce Investment Network, is tailored for students with an interest in the goods-movement industry. Opportunities are available in a variety of careers, including engineering, environmental science, finance and communications.
Participating high school student interns will gain hands-on experience as they work alongside Harbor Department staff during an 8-week program, which runs June 23 through Aug. 14.
• Be a current high school sophomore, junior or senior
• Attend a high school in the Long Beach Unified School District service area
• Have good academic standing (2.5 GPA or higher)
• Have reliable transportation
• Be available to work June 23 to Aug. 14
• Attend a World Trade Week luncheon
• Earn a National Work Readiness Credential (students earn this credential by completing a training program at Pacific Gateway)
Interns will be paid $10 per hour and work up to 30 hours
Applications must be submitted in person to the Pacific Gateway Youth Opportunity Center at
3447 Atlantic Ave.,
Long Beach, CA 90807.
No late applications will be accepted.
To learn more about Pacific Gateway Workforce Investment Network and its youth employment opportunities, visit www.hireayouth.com.